"The Djan’kawu named the places, they planted the trees, they made the well water, and then they went over to Ḻiḻirrtjawuy and made water there. And before going back up the hill, they stopped and collected some oysters. At the other side at Biḻbamwuy, they saw the mangrove goannas, and they heard maŋirrigirri (Pteropus alecto, black flying fox)—the dark black ones, which are Dhuwa— hanging on the djota tree."
– WANYUBI MARIKA
Natural pigments on eucalyptus bark
75 5/8 x 26 5/8
192 x 67.5
Art Gallery of New South Wales. Gift of Dr. Stuart Scougall, 1959. IA66.1959
About The Artist(s)
Maulin, Mauwulan, Mawulan, Molun
Mawalan Marika was the head of one of Australia’s most important artistic dynasties. In 1935, he negotiated the establishment of the Methodist mission at Yirrkala. He was instrumental in the painting of the Yirrkala Church Panels and was a signatory to the Yirrkala Bark Petitions. In the 1960s, he broke with tradition by being the first to teach his daughters to paint.
Berndt Museum of Anthropology, University of Western Australia
Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection of the University of Virginia
National Gallery of Australia
Trinity College Art Collection, University of Melbourne